Italian Sausage, Onion & Tomato Sandwiches
These Italian sausage sandwiches are simply seasoned with fresh garlic, chopped fresh basil and a splash of wine. Everything is cooked together in a pan, either in the oven or on the grill until they are tender and browned. Serve them up on a crusty roll with a good helping of the roasted tomato & onions! I bet you can't help but lick your fingers!
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time45 mins
- 4 Italian Sausages Hot, sweet, medium? However you like yours!
- 6 Tomatoes I used a bunch of small ones, add as many as you want! They will cook way down!
- 1 Onion Large, or two small, or as many as you want!
- 1 tbsp Basil Fresh, or a teaspoon of dried. If you have oregano in your garden, put some of that in too!
- 2 Garlic Cloves Sliced
- 2 tbsp Wine I used white, but red or rose would do! Or leave it out and add just a little water to get it all going.
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil Optional, but I like to drizzle it over the veggies.
- 4 Rolls Sausage or hot dog sized rolls. The crustier the better! These are a tad messy so they need a sturdy roll or bun.
Cut onions in half, then slice them up into half moons.
Slice or chop the garlic and basil.
Chop the tomatoes into wedges or large chunks
Toss the onions, garlic, tomatoes, basil together in a pan.
Drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle a pinch of salt and add the wine.
Nestle the sausages on top. I only cooked 3, but I wish I had done 4!
Cover lightly with foil or a lid and bake in a 425° oven for about a half an hour. I "baked" mine outside on my grill!
Remove foil and stir the veggies. Flip the sausages over and nestle them back in the veggies.
Toast the buns in the over alongside the veggie and sausage pan until lightly browned and crusty. Keep an eye on them!
Continue cooking uncovered until veggies are tender and the sausages are browned on top, about fifteen more minutes or so.
Serve the sausages with the veggies on the rolls. I find they are easier to eat if you allow them to cool for about ten minutes, then slice the sausages lengthwise in half. But I don't mind getting sauce on my fingers and chin!
As the sausages cook in the veggies they flavor the sauce and get super tender!
If you can get your butcher to make you chicken Italian sausages, they would also be amazing!
The nutrition info counts an entire sausage on one sandwich, but you can easily reduce calories by adding more veggies and only half the sausage, and omitting the olive oil.
These are so good with bell peppers added to the mix!
If you find mini buns, they make great appetizer or small sandwiches too.
Skip the roll and serve them plain, or over some pasta or polenta!
Calories: 616kcal | Carbohydrates: 44g | Protein: 23g | Fat: 38g | Saturated Fat: 13g | Cholesterol: 85mg | Sodium: 1153mg | Potassium: 761mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 10g | Vitamin A: 1572IU | Vitamin C: 30mg | Calcium: 54mg | Iron: 13mg