Times like these, every last bit counts. I HATE it when my fresh herbs go bad. Like, really, really hate it.
I also notice that the more expensive organic fresh herbs seem to go bad even faster. By now you’ve seen me post about herb savers before, but I am highly recommending these now when we are all trying to keep our fridges stocked longer and avoid trips to the store.
I use herb savers for asparagus, green onions, my precious cilantro & parsley! They really do work!
Here is my method!
- Fill a bowl with cold water add a couple of tablespoons of white distilled vinegar.
- Pick through the herbs and pull out any that are looking bad. When possible, trim the stems a bit.
- Plunge the herbs in the vinegar water and swish them around. I like to keep my hand around them the whole time to keep them in a bunch. (See in the images below how I cleared the leaves from the stems. The leaves will get slimy if they sit stored the water.)
- Carefully drain the water and refill and swish the herbs around to rinse off the vinegar water.
- Strain and carefully pat off most of the water.
- Place the herbs in the herb Saver and add a little water. Just enough to cover the bottom of the stems, like 1/2 inch or so.
- Store in the refrigerator!
- Every other day, pick out any wilted herbs, pour the water out and fill the herb saver with fresh water.
If you use a lot of large herb bunches, you might want to invest in the larger model! I have so many crammed in my herb keeper that I have to hold it shut with a rubber band!
I have a three-pack like these. There are lots of brands, shapes, and sizes though I’ve only used the Prepara Herb Savers. *If you do purchase after clicking on one of my links, I’ll receive a small commission as an Amazon Associate. Amazon associates commissions do not cost anything or add to your price in any way. Bloggers use affiliate links to help offset the cost of running a blog!
These are great for asparagus and scallions too!
My next purchase is going to be one of these newer ones. They have a tray you can use to drain the herbs on and you can pop the tray in and out of the pod.
Have you ever tried herbs savers? If so, what brand and how are they working for you?￼